Actually, I’m working with Python e Django, both language and framework are excellency softwares and I’m have plans to develop a big project with Django. So, as my first post about Django on blog I’m listening here a bunch of useful apps for your project. Most of this apps was found in a fast search on Django Plugables.
I’m splitting article in two parts (maybe more) and post one per week. If you have suggestions please comment!
- description: support to OpenID network.
- site: http://code.google.com/p/django-openid/
- opinion: useful if you want to use OpenID. Today I not put much points on OpenID network, but I think that soon we have good things with OpenID
- description: a generic rating system
- site: http://code.google.com/p/django-ratings/
- opinion: I not used yet, but recently I built a custom (and closed) rating system and get some knowledge. Soon I want to develop a generic ratings system and probably use this app as start point .
- description: allow full-text search with Sphinx engine, very better than MySQL default.
- site: http://code.google.com/p/django-sphinx/
- opinion: very, really very useful… but, Sphinx have your bad sides….you need to install Sphinx engine to use this app, like other alternative and powerful search engines… the bad on this is that various hosts no allow installs or support it. Good point is, this app is written in C (or C++?) and not in Java, so is fast to install and you can install on hosts that allow ssh access.
- description: generic and efficient tag system
- site: http://code.google.com/p/django-tagging/
- opinion: very useful, that app I start to use soon in two of my two current projects. This app provide a nice way to use and search based in tags, and soon I plan to integrate it with a rating and search mechanism.
- description: extend Django template system with various new tags and functionalities.
- site: http://code.google.com/p/django-template-utils/
- opinion: Absolutely necessary. The bad point of Django framework is limited (intentionally) by security questions and to not allow logic in view part. Problem is that template system is to much limited and this app give more life to system. I’m using!
- description: compress js and css for your site.
- site: http://code.google.com/p/django-compress/
- opinion: everyone know that, how much less requests and size your site have, more faster it is. Every site need to compress JS and CSS files because performance. This plugin does exactly it and allow you to split files in groups, etc… Maybe you can configure it on demand …
- description: as I see, create beautiful plots in Django sites
- site: http://code.google.com/p/django-graphs/
- opinion: offer ways to create graphs and plots with PIL or Cairo lib, it’s nice… particularly I want something closer to Goggle Analytics plots, but without flash because 64bits support on Linux isn’t great yet and my target is these users too.